6260 First Avenue NW
Seattle, WA 98107
(206) 276-5276 (cell)
Objective: Senior Management Position with an Entrepreneurial Company
July 2007 – present
Chief Operating Officer
- Implemented new budgeting process and systems
- Re-engineered procurement process
- Participated in county workgroup designing crisis diversion program, chaired site selection committee
- Accomplished significant improvement in cash-flow and reduction of accounts receivable
- Designed and implemented in-house hospital pharmacy
Affiliated Computer Services, Inc.
January 2004 – April 2007
Participated in the integration of PASC into this Fortune 500 business process outsourcing firm. Managed Sarbanes-Oxley compliance review and documentation of internal accounting controls. Implemented three-day close cycle, weekly flash reporting and quarterly reforecasting processes. Collaborated on transition plan for employee benefits program. Effectively transferred cash management, risk management, licensing and tax responsibilities to corporate personnel. Implemented corporate capital expenditure, employee expense reimbursement and travel and entertainment policies.
Patient Accounting Service Center, LLC
February 2001 – January 2004
Chief Financial Officer
A member of the management team that grew this business process outsourcing firm from $30 to $68 million in three years. Responsible for finance and accounting functions, including taxes, payroll, billing and collections. Responsible for permits, registrations and state regulatory affairs. Corporate secretary for a 120 member LLC registered in over twenty states. Played key role in eventual sale of company to ACS, including managing the due diligence process and coordinating the process of obtaining consents and distributing funds to unitholders. Accomplishments included:
- Implemented initial in-house accounting and payroll systems; recruited and trained finance staff
- Developed financial operating procedures and accounting controls, budgeting, management reporting, financial reporting and capital spending process
- Automated interface between operating and accounting system and reengineered billing cycle – resulting in improved accuracy and timeliness of customer invoices, reduced fee concessions and accelerated customer payments
- Improved accounts receivable DSO by over 30%
- Arranged initial $15 million revolving credit facility.
- Established cash management system including lockboxes, controlled disbursement and positive pay accounts
- Developed and implemented employee expense reporting process and negotiated and implemented corporate credit card programs
- Negotiated insurance coverage including workers compensation and employee medical plan; administered 401(k) plan
- Analyzed businesses of several acquisition candidates and assisted with the integration of an acquired receivables management company and a managed care consulting firm
June 1998 to September 2000
Vice President of Finance and Chief Financial Officer
A member of the management team that transformed this public company from a research organization to a market-driven medical products company. Responsible for all aspects of finance, accounting and human resources. Corporate secretary with responsibility for investor relations. Accomplishments include:
- Integrated systems and relocated operations of an acquired skin-care company.
- Implemented new accounting and manufacturing systems.
- Responsible for all SEC and tax filings.
- Negotiated the acquisition of a dermatology products company.
- Assisted with negotiation of distribution agreements for the United States, Europe, Latin America and Canada.
- Collaborated on negotiating a worldwide technology license and supply agreement for the mass consumer products market.
Identified the opportunity to spin off a business unit involved in outsourcing early-stage drug development, manufacturing, and other services for the pharmaceutical industry. Recruited a sales professional, presented the Company to major customers and prospects. Carved out operations and reporting, and developed new cost models. Managed operation for four months and achieved positive cash flow. Wrote business plan and investment memorandum for the new entity. Agreed to serve as President of the new business, negotiated agreements with key personnel, and presented the Company to potential investors. Negotiated purchase agreement on behalf of buyers.
Media Passage, Inc.
December 1997 to March 1998
Interim Chief Financial Officer
Reorganized transaction processing for this advertising services provider. Managed cash flow. Worked with customers to provide assurances as to security of remittances and integrity of processing.
November 1991 to October 1997
Vice President and Chief Financial Officer
Helped grow this software and training company to $75 million while maintaining consistent profitability. Built organizations responsible for all aspects of finance and accounting, human resources, information technology, real estate, production and purchasing. Participated in the sale of the company to IBM. Accomplishments include:
- Developed operating procedures and accounting controls, cash management process, banking relationships, budgeting and management reporting, financial reporting and capital spending process.
- Developed benefit and compensation plans for 850+ employees including 401(K), profit sharing and medical plans.
- Designed and implemented new sales compensation and management incentive plans to address motivation and retention issues with key employees.
- Analyzed businesses of several acquisition candidates resulting in the purchase of the assets of a technical training company.
- Implemented distributed data and voice networks to support operations for 200 classrooms in 48 markets.
- Negotiated license agreement for sale of Japanese rights to key intellectual property.
- Developed a call center with a staff of over 100 to accommodate centralized customer service, billing and sales support.
- Negotiated leases on more than forty classroom and office facilities.
- Resolved a variety of sensitive employee relations matters with federal and state agencies with minimal impact to employer.
- Negotiated major procurement contracts for equipment and services
Frederick & Nelson
July 1989 – October 1991
Hired as Assistant Controller, promoted to Controller in 1991.
Managed the due diligence process for the acquisition of this traditional $700 million department store chain by a regional real estate developer. Subsequent to acquisition assumed responsibility banking relationships and reporting to creditors. Managed cash flow through extended periods of near insolvency. Managed accounting, accounts payable and payroll departments. Directly responsible for tax and financial reporting.
New York, NY and Seattle, WA
January 1981 – June 1989
Hired as an Auditor, promoted to Audit Manager and transferred to Seattle in June 1985. Promoted to Senior Audit Manager in 1988.
Audited multinational consumer products companies and financial institutions with particular emphasis on international business. Significant involvement with foreign exchange and securities trading systems, product liability reserves and business combinations. Transferred to the Seattle office to work on high technology and retail clients. Managed accounting services related to SEC filings in a variety of industries, including IPO registrations and business combinations. Managed systems development and process re-engineering engagements as well as conventional financial audits.
Certified Public Accountant
Licensed in the State of Washington
Columbia University Graduate School of Business
New York, New York
1979 – 1980
MBA / Accounting and Finance
Columbia Journal of World Business
Yellow Springs, OH
1972 – 1977
BA / Administration and Psychology
Preceptoral Fellow. Head of student government. Junior year abroad in France, additional language study in Germany and Guatemala
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
Washington State Society of Certified Public Accountants
Professional Ski Instructors of America