This page describes an accumulation of stamps. It is intended to give viewers a way to appreciate the extent and nature of the collection. On the COLLECTION page you will find a list of the twelve boxes that made up the collection and a description of their contents. There used to be a search page where it was possible to view or print a list of the entire collection or to generate lists of stamps by date, country, stamp type, or album. The ESSAY page tells the story of the collection and of the development of this site.
Here is an overview of the collection:
- About 400 US mint sheets representing approximately 20,000 stamps, and about 1,000 US plate blocks representing approximately 10,000 stamps.
- About 20,000 US singles (about 17,000 used), including about 18,000 from before 1970, almost 6,000 from prior to 1950 and about 100 from prior to1910.
- US mint sets from 1976 (including bicentennial sets) to 199l and many back-of-the-book items
- About 25,000 stamps from other countries (about 18,000 used singles), including 16,000 from prior to 1950 and about 900 from prior to 1910 (less than 1,000 are later than 1970).
- Major country collections include British Commonwealth (2,600 items), Canada (4,200 items), Germany (4,400 items including Austria), Hungary (2,600 items), other Eastern European countries (1,400 items including Russia), Scandinavia (1,200 items), Netherlands (1,000 items), Latin America (1,000 items) and the United Nations (1,400 items including UN mint sets from 1964 to 1989 in their original envelopes.)
- Topical collection of “Scouts on Stamps.”
- About 17,000 records in a database allowing for searches on catalogue number, location, year, country, stamp type and topic (or on combinations of these parameters).